AGFACTS Newsbrief Summary – May 2016
- The four-quarter moving total of South African agricultural machinery sales (2016Q1) is currently R8.21 billion, 7.4% down the figure of R8.86 billion a year ago.
- The third production estimate for commercial maize for the 2015/2016 season is 7.054 million tons. This is 29.1% less than in the 2014/2015 production season.
- The overall trend in the year-on-year price increases (smoothed) of agricultural machinery has stabilised. The current overall year-on-year trend in price increases (smoothed) is 15.7%, marginally up on the April figure.
- Year-to-date tractor sales (April) are currently 10.4% down on those for the same period last year.
- The AGFACTS Tractor Sales Index is currently 0.92. The short-term trend in tractor sales continues to be downwards.