AGFACTS Newsbrief Summary – June 2017
- Average annual wheat plantings over the past five years are approximately 497 000 hectares. This is well down from the average level of almost 2.0 million hectares during the 1970’s and 1980’s.
- Wheat yield has shown an encouraging upward trend over the past 40 years. The current ten-year average is 3.24 tons per hectare.
- Intended wheat plantings of 496 000 hectares for the 2017 season are 2.4% less than 2016 plantings.
- The bulk of the wheat plantings are in the Western Cape (65.5% of the total) and the Free State (18.1%) of the total).
- The fourth production estimate for commercial maize for the 2016/2017 season is 15.631 million tons. This is 101% more than in the 2015/2016 production season.
- The overall trend in year-on-year price changes of agricultural machinery has largely stabilised. The current overall year-on-year trend in price reduction in nominal terms is 0.9% (smoothed), marginally down on the previous month.
- Year-to-date tractor sales (five months to May) are 0.3% down on those for the same period last year.