AGFACTS Newsbrief Summary – June 2016
- Average annual wheat plantings over the past five years are approximately 513 000 hectares. This is well down from the average level of almost 2.0 million hectares during the 1970’s and 1980’s.
- Wheat yield has shown an encouraging upward trend over the past 40 years. The current ten-year average is 3.14 tons per hectare.
- Intended wheat plantings of 482 000 hectares for the 2016 season are much the same as the 2015 plantings.
- The bulk of the wheat plantings are in the Western Cape (66.4% of the total) and the Free State (16.6%) of the total).
- The fifth production estimate for commercial maize for the 2015/2016 season is 7.161 million tons. This is 28.1% less than in the 2014/2015 production season.
- The overall trend in year-on-year price changes of agricultural machinery has largely stabilised. The current overall year-on-year trend in price increases in nominal terms is 16.0% (smoothed), marginally up on the previous month.
- Year-to-date tractor sales (five months to May) are 8.2% down on those for the same period last year.