AGFACTS Newsbrief Summary – November 2015
- Twenty manufacturers currently sell 449 tractor models in South Africa. This is 19 fewer models than were offered five years ago.
- The most tractor models occur in the 60.1 – 70.0 kW class with 13.1% of total models. The next most popular classes are the >=200.1 kW and vineyard and orchard classes, both with 11.6% and the 70.1 – 80.0 kW class, with 10.2% of the total models.
- Approximately 83% of tractor models offered on the South African market are four wheel drive models.
- In the past five years there have been significant increases in the number of models being offered in the 100.1 – 110.0 kW, the 110.1 – 120.0 kW, the 150.1 – 200.0 kW and the >=200.1 kW classes.
- The trend in year-on-year price increases of all categories of agricultural machinery continues upwards. The current overall year-on-year increase in prices (smoothed) is 5.3%.
- The overall wheat crop is expected to be 1.542 million tons in the 2015 season, 11.9% down on last year.
- Year-to-date tractor sales to October 2015 amount to 5 678 units, 10.4% down on last year.