AGFACTS Newsbrief Summary – September 2017
- Prices of five-year old used tractors are significantly (15.0% – smoothed) higher, on average, than they were twelve months ago.
- The eighth estimate of maize production for the 2016/2017 season is 16.413 million tons, 111.0% more than in the previous season. This the biggest maize crop on record.
- Sunflower production is expected to be 15.2% up on last year. Current grain sorghum production is forecast to be 114.7% up on last year. Groundnut production is forecast to be 412.2% up on the previous season. Soya bean production is forecast to be 77.4% up on last year. Dry Bean production is forecast to be 93.3% up on last year.
- Revised area estimates for wheat for the 2017 season are 480 000 ha, 5.7% less than in the previous season.
- The trend in the overall year-on-year price changes of agricultural machinery has now moved slowly upwards. The current overall year-on-year decrease in prices (smoothed) is 2.2%.
- Year-to-date tractor sales to August amount to 4 123 units, 6.7% up on the same period last year.