SAAMA Press Release – April 2019

SAAMA Press Release – April 2019

April 2019: TRACTOR and COMBINE HARVESTER SALES

Retail sales of agricultural equipment during April 2019 were as follows:

Month - JulyPercentage Change %Year-to-date - JulyPercentage Change %
2019201820192018
Tractors432459-5.91 9462 335-16.7
Combine Harvesters2329-20.76483-22.9

April tractor sales of 432 units were 6% down on the 459 units sold in April last year.   Year-to-date sales for the first four months of 2019 are significantly (almost 17%) down on last year.   On a rolling 12-month basis tractor sales are now 6% down on last year.   April combine harvester sales of 23 units were six units down on the 29 units sold in April last year.   Year-to-date sales are significantly (23%) down on last year.   On a rolling 12-month basis combine harvester sales are now 6% down on last year.

Although market sentiment is positive, with most companies getting good enquiries for their equipment, a combination of factors is holding back actual sales.   Market uncertainties revolve around crop prospects, particularly for the late-planted crops, the outcome of the election and prospects for the rand.   The upcoming NAMPO Harvest Days should give a good indication of market sentiment and the possible direction of the market for the rest of the year.

As the 2019 calendar year unfolds, the latest indications are that sales will be at a level between 10 and 15% below the 6 700 units sold last year.

Greg Cadman
Chairman: South African Agricultural Machinery Association

Contact: Mr. Greg Cadman (084) 511-0647 or Dr. Jim Rankin (011) 453-7249